Dissolution of marriage, legal separation and committed relationships

Child Custody

Protecting your child's best interests

Property Division

Dissolution of marriage, legal separation and committed relationships


Helping you achieve your goals


Experienced legal representation in the courtroom

  1. Home
  2.  | Divorce

Understanding Divorce In Washington

Divorce is the term commonly used to describe the end of a marriage. Dissolution of marriage is the legal term used to describe the end of a marriage as set forth in Revised Code of Washington Chapter 26.09. In the state of Washington, you can “dissolve” a marriage recognized by any other state in the United States or in any country in the world.

What Is A Legal Separation?

A legal separation is similar to a divorce but the parties remain married. The result of a legal separation is similar to a divorce, property and debts are divided and assigned, child custody and support is determined, spousal support may be awarded. But, the parties remain married at the conclusion. Either party may convert a Legal Separation to a Dissolution of Marriage, six months after the entry of a Decree of Legal Separation by motion to the Superior Court.

How Is A Committed Intimate Relationship Different Than Marriage?

A Committed Intimate Relationship is a relationship that is not a marriage but is a long-term marriage like relationship. A Committed Intimate Relationship is treated similarly to marriage with some important differences such as the inability of the court to award spousal maintenance to the other party. This is a complicated area of law, and each case is individual and is very fact dependent.

Contact Our Experienced Divorce Attorneys At Yelish Law To Learn More

Financial and personal issues are the two main issues involved in the dissolution of any marriage. Financial issues involve how your community property, assets and debt will be divided, as well as whether one spouse must financially assist the other spouse through payment of spousal maintenance. Spousal support is generally ordered for a time until the receiving spouse is able or should be able to be self supporting. The personal issue involves child custody and child support with the development of parenting plans and support orders. Email us through this website or call us at 360-602-3943 to learn more about how we can help you.